The thing about cute pick up lines is that they sound cliched, and most people would assume that this is a bad thing; not necessarily so.
They have made it onto the list of cliches because they are used often; and they are so often used because they work well. They are an affective and affectionate way to approach someone you’ve never met before.
To break the ice with a total stranger, and if delivered correctly, they won’t remain a stranger for long. Here is a list of some cute pick up lines to give you an idea to work from:
- I like it here now that you’ve arrived.
- If I pet you, would you follow me home?
- Say didn’t we go to different schools at the same time?
- Hi! Are you here to meet a nice man (or woman)? Or will I do?
- Oh, I’m having that dream again!
- Guys like me don’t get girls like you. Why is that?
- What’s a bad girl like you doing in a nice place like this?
- I think you are gorgeous and I’m going to take you to lunch.
- Can I make you breakfast?
- I lost my phone number. Could I borrow yours?
- With my luck, you’re probably here with someone.
- Do you come here often? If so, I might.
- I’ve always wanted to meet someone like you, just once.
The beauty of using cute pick up lines is in their simplicity. You are able to make your interest known in the shortest amount of time possible. It will only take you a few moments to determine if the person you are flirting with is receptive to your advances. If not, you can move on in relatively short order.
The key to using a pickup line effectively comes with attitude. You will need to be relaxed and confident. Not arrogant, and yes, there is a difference. You will need to deliver the line playfully, make it seem like you are telling a joke.
In a way that is precisely what you are doing, you are using a cliche to try to make the other person smile, or better yet: laugh. Keep it light and breezy, no one wants to be around someone who takes themselves too seriously. This will set you apart from anyone else who may have approached that person already and will serve to give you a common ground to spark up a conversation.
It is important that you not seem shy or desperate when you approach someone to deliver a line. If there is even a hint of desperation, or worse: creepiness, in your demeanor, it will be readily apparent to the recipient. In this case, it most likely will not end well.
Accept any answer gracefully. If you get shot down, don’t make a big deal of it. Just smile and say “You can’t blame me for trying. Can you?” Or even better: act like it is an entirely new thing for you to be turned down.
Act surprised, and amused; you never know, they could change their mind later. Even if they don’t, one of their friends may decide to take up the missed opportunity with you.